Are you struggling with a slow metabolism, fatigue, weight gain or trouble maintaining a healthy weight? Constipation, swinging moods or depression, dry skin, low energy levels, memory and concentration problems can also be symptoms of thyroid dysfunction.
You can support your thyroid balance by visiting a doctor for tests, then under their supervision, treating it with natural supplements and lifestyle changes.
What is the Thyroid?
The thyroid is a small-butterfly shaped gland located in front of the neck, below Adam’s apple. The function of the thyroid is to convert iodine from food (with the help of tyrosine, an amino acid) into hormones called thyroxine or T4 and triiodothyronine or T3.
A healthy thyroid gland produces 80% T4 hormones and 20% T3 hormones. However, T3 is 4 times stronger than T4. Thyroid hormones regulate metabolism.
The pituitary gland controls the thyroid by regulating hormone levels with the help of TSH hormones (Thyroid Stimulating Hormones).
Bodily Functions Regulated by Thyroid Hormones
- Heart rate
- Nervous system
- Body weight
- Muscle strength
- Menstrual cycle
- Body temperature
- Cholesterol levels
Symptoms of a Low Thyroid Function
- Low body temperature, especially in hands and feet
- Sensitivity to cold
- Fatigue, tiredness, weakness
- Low energy levels
- Low metabolism
- Low immunity levels
- Lethargy, disinterest, lack of motivation
- Dry skin, desquamation, skin problems
- Brittle nails and hair
- Low concentration power
- Memory problems
- Brain fog
- Mood swings, irritability
- Joint and muscle pain
- Low sex drive
- Heavy and painful menstruations (in women)
- Weight gain, difficulty in balancing weight
- Sweets cravings
- Sleep troubles, hard to wake up in the morning
- Heart problems
How to Test Thyroid Function
For full clarity, it's essential you first consult your doctor and have blood tests performed. Typically, these will be the tests required to measure thyroid functions:
- Free T4 and Free T3
- Reverse T3
- Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOAb)
- Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb)
How to Protect & Restore Thyroid Function Naturally
Foods to Avoid
- Goitrogen foods such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, soy, etc.
- Gluten in wheat, rye, barley as they increase inflammation in the body and produce hormonal imbalances.
- Dairy, especially non-organic and pasteurized products. They trigger inflammations in the body and hormonal problems.
- Refined Sugar disrupts hormonal production, messes up the metabolism, causes fatigue, mood swings, triggers depression and weight gain.
- Refined Flour from bread, cereals, pasta, baked products, sweets, pastry, etc.
12 Natural Ways to Increase Thyroid Function
One of the main reasons why thyroid imbalance occurs is a nutrient deficiency that impairs your normal hormonal production in your thyroid.
There are many natural ways to support your thyroid functions:
- Eat a healthy, varied diet, rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes.
- Drink Green Juices – natural juices from green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, lime, maca, chlorophyll, and cucumber are a true energy boosting elixir rich in phytonutrients.
- Coconut Oil boosts metabolism, stimulates thyroid function, helps digestion, increases energy levels, boosts energy levels, strengthens the immune system, improves brain function, balances your moods, etc.
- Drink plenty of water during the day, starting with a glass of water in the morning and one in the evening. As we mentioned in our previous article How Much Water Should You Drink per Day, water boost metabolism, supports vital functions in the body, assists organs and glands for an optimum function, prevents constipations, boosts energy levels, regulates hormonal balance, uplift moods, etc.
- Supplement your diet with minerals: selenium, zinc, magnesium and manganese.
- Take natural herbs that help and support thyroid function: Ashwagandha, Schisandra, Ginger, Black cohosh, Ginseng, etc.
- Eat seaweed such as Kelp, Chlorella, Spirulina, Wakame, Dulse, Dulse, Bladderwrack, etc.
- Take a natural supplement that contains all the necessary herbs, minerals, vitamins, nutrients and phytohormones that support the thyroid function, such as NutriFlair Thyroid Support Complex Supplement. Each capsule contains Iodine, Ashwagandha, Zinc, Magnesium, Copper, Selenium, Manganese, Schisandra, Bladderwrack, Kelp and Vitamin B-12.
Our products are manufactured in the USA, in an FDA registered and inspected facility, made from 100% natural and pure ingredients, respecting the highest quality standards.
- Do yoga postures that regulate and boost thyroid function, boost metabolism and stimulate hormonal production, such as Sarvangasana, Simhasana, Ardhamatsyendrasana, Trikonasana, Halasana, Setu Bnadhasana, Uddiyana Bandha, Sun Salutation.
- Breathing exercises for Thyroid stimulation and balance: Jalandhara Bandha, Kapalabhati, Ujjayi Pranayama, Suryabheda Pranayama, Agnisara Dhauti.
- Meditate your stresses away. Meditation has been shown to boost metabolism rate, stimulate thyroid function, balance your emotions, improve focus, concentration, and memory, regulate hormonal imbalances, release stress, alleviate depression, and boost happiness, enthusiasm and motivation.
- Essential oils for Thyroid: Myrrh oil, Frankincense oil, Bergamot oil, Lemongrass oil, Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil, Lavender oil, Clary Sage Oil, Citronella oil.