If you enjoy experimenting with spices while you cook or you’ve been doing research on supplements, you’ve likely heard about turmeric. Turmeric has been growing in popularity over the past few years, yet it’s still misunderstood by many. This week’s Nutriflair blog post answers some of the most commonly asked questions about turmeric and its benefits.
Nutriflair specializes in a wide range of nutritional supplements, including Ceylon cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, berberine, turmeric, and so much more. We take pride in offering only the highest quality supplements that are proudly made in the USA and have been tested using premium quality lab equipment and practices. Read our post to learn more about turmeric curcumin supplements and shop premier nutritional supplements from Nutriflair today!
In the second part of this blog post, we discuss more about the benefits of turmeric curcimin supplements and why you should consider taking them.
Q: What Is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a plant found in the ginger family that is native to Southeast Asia and is growing in popularity across the world, particularly in India. Its underground stem is typically used as a culinary spice, as well as a traditional medicine. Turmeric can either be consumed fresh, as a powder, or in juice form.
It is often used in a form of medicine called Ayurvedic medicine, as well as other traditional Indian medical systems.
Q: What Are Turmeric’s Traditional Uses?
In Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric has many uses, including:
- Treating skin infections or conditions topically
- Improving the skin’s appear by brightening it
- Treating coughs and colds
- Serving as an anti-itch medication
- Treating Type II Diabetes, UTIs, gout, and more
- Dyeing fabrics
- Regulating the immune system
Q: What Is Curcumin?
Curcumin is a chemical isolated or extracted from turmeric that gives turmeric its distinct yellow color. Curcumin belongs to a larger family of chemicals called curcuminoids. Many people often believe curcumin to be a “miracle” compound that is said to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Curcumin is generally consumed in tablet or capsule form and is dosed quite high, at a recommended dose of 500mg, twice per day.
Q: Are There Any Side Effects of Curcumin or Turmeric?
Turmeric and curcumin are typically tolerated well by most, but there may be occasional side effects for some. The most common side effects are constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and stomach ache.
Q: Can Turmeric Curcumin Be Taken On An Empty Stomach?
Some say that turmeric works best when taken on an empty stomach. We recommend speaking to your doctor before beginning the use of any nutritional supplement, including turmeric. If you do take turmeric on an empty stomach and it causes upset, try taking it with a small meal.
Q: Is It Best to Take Curcumin or Turmeric?
While there’s no official answer on whether it’s best to take curcumin or turmeric, many studies have favored turmeric, as it offers many other ingredients and benefits, including its active ingredient, curcumin. This makes it a more comprehensive supplement than curcumin itself.
Q:What Is the Percentage of Curcumin In Turmeric?
Curcumin is only one of a number of curcuminoids, which are the molecular compounds found in turmeric. Typically, turmeric contains approximately 5% of curcumin.
Q: How Often Should I Take Turmeric?
We recommend consuming turmeric daily, either in capsule form or on food in powder form. For specific dosing, be sure to follow the instructions on the supplement label.
Q: Who Should Not Take Turmeric?
While turmeric is safe for most, there are a few reasons why someone should not consume it. These include:
- Iron deficiency
- Kidney stones
- Gallbladder disease
- Bleeding disorders
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
Q: What Are the Benefits of Turmeric Curcumin?
Turmeric curcumin offers a wide range of benefits for regular users. These benefits include:
- Anti-inflammation — Turmeric curcumin helps your body fight chronic inflammation. In fact, curcumin is so powerful that it actually matches the effectiveness of many anti-inflammatory drugs, without the harmful side effects.
- Increase in antioxidant capacity — Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant that can neutralize free radical cells due to its chemical structure. It also boosts the activity of your body’s own antioxidant enzymes. This means that turmeric curcumin blocks free radicals directly and stimulates your body’s own antioxidant defenses.
- Brain function — Turmeric curcumin increases levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is a type of growth hormone that functions within your brain. In doing so, turmeric may be effective in delaying and possibly reversing an array of brain diseases.
- Heart disease prevention — Turmeric helps to improve the function of the endothelium, which is the lining of your blood vessels. Endothelial dysfunction is known to be a major driver or heart disease, so improved function significantly reduces your risk.
- Cancer prevention — Believe it or not, turmeric has been known to prevent cancer by reducing the growth of cancerous cells and the growth of new blood vessels in tumors.
- Arthritis treatment — Arthritis is a common disease that affects the joints in the body, causing pain, stiffness, and decreased mobility. Given that turmeric curcumin offers anti-inflammatory properties, it is highly effective when treating arthritis.
Q: How Do I Know Whether My Turmeric Supplements Are Safe to Consume?
When purchasing turmeric supplements, you should always be sure that you are buying from a safe, reputable source. Ensure that each supplement has been properly tested using the proper standards and equipment.
We recommend also checking out online reviews for products that you’re researching to ensure that others have had a positive experience with it.
Trust Nutriflair for Nutritional Supplements
Here at Nutriflair, we pride ourselves on offering only the highest-quality, most reliable nutritional supplements, including turmeric curcumin. Our products are manufactured with strict adherence to the Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP) standards, and we used 100% pure, natural ingredients. Each of our supplements are tested in a lab and made right here in the USA. It’s our goal to provide customers with specially formulated supplements that help them live their best lives.
If you’re ready to up your health game and discover the benefits of turmeric curcumin or any of our other beneficial supplements, reach out to us or shop today!